dont miss the next vuu gtg all v.a.g welcome

Dans rusty old rado.

DanRVW
    part time vuu

Number of posts : 139
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Dans rusty old rado.

Post by DanRVW on Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:29 pm

Hi everyone. Ive been a bit busy lately working on a new car. I wasnt going to do any progress threads on forums until the car is finished. But as ive done a lot more than i planned to it and is taking longer to do, i thought now is the time! Its on E38 so it would be rude not to get it up on here Smile Anyway, this is my rusty old pile of rubbish. (well..it used to be Smile ) First of all, sorry about the crap pics, my camera decided to die on me not long after i started this, so my phone had to do :rolleyes:

So..back in may 2010 while my Audi A3 was getting resprayed i thought id buy a daily, i wanted something cheap and a dub and worthy of a rattle can paint job, and for under 500. So after looking at a few Mk3 golfs and polos on autotrader, i came across a 1990 Corrado 16v only a few miles away from me, ok it was advertised for 750, and had 185k miles on the clock..but i have a soft spot for rado's and thought instantly, thats the one! So i went to look at it the next day, saw a few rust spots and little problems, but got it down to 600 and drove it away that night. After driving it around for a month i loved it. Such fun to drive. Even drove to scotland and back (4hrs each way) to pick some wheels up and didnt miss a beat.

The time came when i got my A3 back. And i could start work on the rado. It was only ever meant to be a 2 month bit of fun...ya know..rattle can paint, bike carbs, strip out interior and blast it around.....but it never works out like that! Wink .....with the help of a few good friends and loads fun doing it...it turned into something more...

Rusty arch.....

The strip down begins...

Engine out!

More rust...

And then...i had some problems involving the rear bumper and O/S/R wheel. The bumper bolts under the car were virtually unrecognisable as bolts...id say more like blobs of rust which refused to come off..i tried blow torch, bolt grippers, vice grips, nothing would work and their location made it more difficult....after a full week of testing my patience out came the angle grinder Very Happy ....

I then found even more rust. Its at this point i realised what i had got myself into..

I also pulled lots of filler out of the arch

I then decided to get the remaining wheel off the car. All the cheapo crappy wheels had cheapo crappy wheel bolts in them, which quich a lot of them snapped. Managed to get them all out apart from one on the full car where most of the head had virtually snapped clean off. I needed to get this wheel off today and had tried chisels, tons of drill bits and the thing was testing my patience again..soo...out came the angle grinder again! hahaahaha. I cut through the wheel to allow me to cut through the bolt but half way through cutting through it a good smash of the alloy with a hammer and some wiggling about started to unwind it. Good job i didnt give a crap about these wheels haha.

The offending article...

Stripdown continues...

There was no sill left either! Surprised

It was at this point the car nearly got scrapped and a clean shell in its replacement. I couldnt believe the ammount of rust i found on it. But there was no scrap corrados locally and it means getting transportation for a long distance etc...so i continued repairing this one...

Sourced a new arch from a real helpful memeber on the corrado forum...and me and my friend mike tact welded it on. It got a lot more on after this was taken once the metal cooled down a bit.

Oh..and smoothed the 'bay. Why not eh? :wacko:

Repaired the rear end....

A bit of filler and primer...

Got the car primed

The new arch...

I bit of new underseal...

My dad loved the mess we was making Smile

Converted the garage into a spray booth aswell! Smile

First respray. I originally wanted to do the car matte red. But i after all the work put into the shell, i wanted something more. Audi Ibis white was the chosen colour. I was then having trouble with my compressor. My 110v transformer wasnt up to the job. So it needed redoing once i sorted it.

After getting a new transformer a week later. It got redone....

And so did some other bits...

Overspray much? :ph34r:

After getting a new bumper for 10 from the same member as earlier on the corrado forum. It needed patching up, while i was at it, it would be rude not to delete the towing eye Smile and my old bumper was used as the donor.

More things painted...

Getting stuff ready for paint....

Oh...and then wheels turned up from germany Very Happy Very Happy 9x16's all round...

I need to sand these down and polish them. Very Happy

Polished some things...

Removed the rusty brakes and suspension finally!!

Home made jet engine Smile haha

Stripped the rear axle and got it ready to paint...

Old rear bushes...

Rear axle painted and back on with black diamond pads and discs, new bearings, polyurethene bushes and full underneath re undersealed.

After finding my front ARB bent and rusty and wont fit into my new polyurethene bushes...i decided to buy these Smile

Started building up subframe...

Front brakes done, black diamond pads and discs with Audi S2 twin pot calipers and goodrich braided hoses...

Tie rod flip modification done...

Polished the shell. Still needs more doing though...

Cleaned the fuel tank...

Bought some wheel spacers and put the wheels on it...Did someone say camber bolts..and shims!

And that is my progress so far. Originally i wanted it done for UD 2011 but ill see how it goes. I still have my 1.8t to remove from my A3 and drop into this which im hoping to get done before christmas....

Thanks for looking and reading through that headache of a progress thread. Thanks to all my friends who have been involved in this. It wouldnt be possible without you guys!
    paulshears
    rockabilly vuu

Number of posts : 1429
    aka : Matt's brother
    Registration date : 2007-02-15

Re: Dans rusty old rado.

Post by paulshears on Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:03 am

Dan .... well impressed fella Wink didn't realize you were making a show car out of this

also 2:29 am is well past your bed time
    paulshears
    rockabilly vuu

Number of posts : 1429
    aka : Matt's brother

Post by paulshears on Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:06 am

DanRVW wrote:

There never 9x16 .... there not much bigger than a penny Very Happy
    Deano
    site modder

Number of posts : 898

Post by Deano on Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:31 am

Damn Paul you pinched my joke......anywho awesome Dan simply awesome,looking forward to seing this finished,so whats happening with the A3 then if your taking the 1.8t out of it.
    dsmithmobile
    site modder

Number of posts : 2260
    aka : Dan
    Registration date : 2007-02-21

Post by dsmithmobile on Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:52 pm

Looks cool Dan Very Happy

DanRVW
    part time vuu

Number of posts : 139
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by DanRVW on Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:01 pm

paulshears wrote:Dan .... well impressed fella Wink didn't realize you were making a show car out of this

also 2:29 am is well past your bed time

I never was intending it to be a showcar. But one thing leads to another eh..

It was way past my bedtime last night, but tonight its now nearly 3am..so really need some sleep haha...

Oh yea...didnt anyone tell you? This car is actually 1:43 scale and that is a real penny.

Deano wrote:Damn Paul you pinched my joke......anywho awesome Dan simply awesome,looking forward to seing this finished,so whats happening with the A3 then if your taking the 1.8t out of it.

Cheers deano. Getting the old 1.8 20v non turbo engine back in and then probably getting sold next year once i tidy a few things up on it. Dont really wanna see it go though Crying or Very sad
    Geeman
    site modder

Number of posts : 5283
    aka : Giles

Post by Geeman on Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:01 am

Dan... that's frikking awesome fella. I'm REALLY impressed.

Number of posts : 393
    Registration date : 2007-04-24

Post by lupo on Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:22 am

Love this Dan!!!! Let me know when your free, the TT needs some jobs doing

xxx
    sarah
    mrs hardwork

Number of posts : 4089
    aka : mrs hardwork

Post by sarah on Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:26 pm

Wow thats some pretty amazing work you've done there Dan, look forward to seeing it around when its on the road Cool
    lupo
    ra ra vuu

Number of posts : 393
    Registration date : 2007-04-24

Post by lupo on Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:44 pm

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:26 am